Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  21:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. This is my first post on the SFC forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong topic section. I have decided that it's time to buy another Mk1 Uno Turbo, 21 years since my first one was written off. I'm in the process of buying a red '88 E reg example and I noticed that loads of the bills (and there really is a lot) have Peter Plummer's (or Plumber's) name on them. I believe he was the original owner and I've noticed his name mentioned on here a few times, but relating to the white ex Cann Durrant car, not the red one. Does anyone know or remember the red car? I would be grateful for any info before I buy it. The reg is E707 HLL. Thanks, Mitch.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Fiat 500 Lounge (for the lady)

Martin
Administrator

United Kingdom
7828 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  13:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Martin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes - Peter is still around.... mainly in West London I think....
He is a thorough guy and would not normally skimp on things like rebuilds.... and bill keeping.
Every so often he'd go back to one of his car loves - that's the Mk1 UT. Think he's got bored of the 16v FIRE conversion Mk1 Uno and is having it "up-gunned" back to UT spec.

So his red one was his second UT, I think, and this he had rebuilt in a rolling restoration over two years...... the body was done by a shop near Send.... and his only comment to me about it was his surprise at how much box section rust had to be tackled. He would have the right attitude towards such Uno problems.
He also owned one of the more famous UT's in the UK - the white rally car built by Cann-Durrant....... and he had a lot of fun in that one on some SFC track days.... and tuning/ changing its spec.

He also had a UT goldmine in parts - but his stable and stores were diminished when he moved back to London..... the red UT and rally car were sold to save space.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

Martin
Administrator

United Kingdom
7828 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  15:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Martin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's one out of the archive......

PP said I was getting a lot better fuel consumption on the way back than him... could this have anything to do with the fact I wasn't terrorising any fast Fords that went past I wonder??

Martin
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  16:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Martin and thanks for the info. This forum was my first point of reference as I noticed the red Mk1 still wears an old SFC sticker on the windscreen - are these still available, as I would like to replace the tatty old one with new. Following a final check of the car, I should be taking ownership in the next couple of weeks, and it's going straight to a local garage for some recommissioning work. I will then be tidying up the bodywork as it has picked up a few cuts and bruises in recent years. Will post some photos when I get the car.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  16:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the pic - I've not seen this one before. The car still looks very similar to this, but the side bump strips have been removed and it now has standard UT alloys. If you could post any other images you have, that would be great! One of the first archive images I found is on the Alamy Stock Photo website (I don't know how to post a link but you can see it by searching for Fiat Uno Turbo on Alamy's site), and it looks like a professional shot taken at Brooklands. Not sure why this photo was taken.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Go to Top of Page

Martin
Administrator

United Kingdom
7828 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  18:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Martin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive got several stickers around the place as well as a pile of new ones - but I'll need a bit of time to find them - or some meeting organisers could beat me to it - they are priced at print cost - a couple of quid. The roundel inner colour can be matched with the car - red yellow blue rust etc...

The red Uno is shod in Tipo 14inch rims here,,,,, Peter was thinking of upgrading the fronts with bigger discs and pads but I don't know how far he went.
He was running 1.0bar boost and talking of running a fifth injector as a charge cooler - but his attention then switched to the rally car so I think it remained at one bar on the standard late Marelli ecu.

There are thousands of files to search so please give me a bit of time for more images!

Oh, almost forgot - the red one must have been lowered - see Model page for a side by side comparison with the rally car....
http://www.sfconline.org.uk/models/uno/uno.asp

Martin
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  21:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin for the helpful info. It's bizarre to think the red Uno in the famous three Uno line up shot will soon be mine! I had wondered if it was the same car, as I knew the white car also belonged to Peter. I also remember the shot from the Fast Car and Max Power write ups back in the 90's.

The car is currently on PI suspension, lowered by about 35mm and I think this might have been added after Peter sold it, but then again it's done very few miles in the last 10 years, so maybe not. It's a non runner at the moment but I'm confident it will be running in no time (fingers crossed).

I'll definitely take a couple of the SFC window stickers if possible, one red and one yellow (the current one is yellow). Let me know the best way to send payment and I'll get it sorted at my end.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2016 :  08:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nick. From what I know of the car, it has been rebuilt with modest upgrades along the way, nothing too extreme. The main selling points for me are:
1. the rust has been dealt with (although I'm factoring in further work as it was tackled some time ago),
2. the low number of owners from new, and
3. the history - it appears that every receipt, MOT and tax disc is present.

I'll keep you all posted on progress. For now, I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Go to Top of Page

anonymous1
Forum Addict

5863 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2016 :  09:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2016 :  09:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, different Mitch but I'm quite fond of 130 Abarths ;)
The UT still has Peter's 'Vroom Vroom' numbers plates on it.

Thank you everyone for all the info - much appreciated.

Mitch

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  13:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update: the Uno is now under my ownership and has arrived at the garage for a thorough check over. First job is to change the cam belt and water pump, then to try and get it running. A visual inspection shows very little wrong with the Uno and Peter's hard work at tackling the rust has paid off - it appears very solid indeed :)

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Go to Top of Page

julian
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
3726 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  14:10:12  Show Profile  Visit julian's Homepage  Click to see julian's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would be very, VERY surprised if it wasn't solid - I've seen how Peter deals with tinworm...

2009 Abarth 500
Go to Top of Page

MarkB
Net Member

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  12:35:52  Show Profile  Send MarkB an AOL message  Reply with Quote
get some pictures up Mitch,
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  21:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's in the garage at the moment. Will post some pics when I have it back.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.
Go to Top of Page

flyingplum
Net Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  16:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've hit a problem with the Uno: it appears the head gasket had blown before the car was parked up in the previous owner's garage, so I plan to have the engine rebuilt for peace of mind. Finding some of the parts is proving difficult, so what would be the best way forward: persevere with the original engine (if I can get the parts) or find a replacement?

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
Fiat Uno Turbo I.E.

Edited by - flyingplum on 13 Mar 2017 13:35:53
Go to Top of Page

anonymous1
Forum Addict

5863 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2017 :  09:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page