Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

brooky
Net Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2017 :  15:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Anybody have any info on the cam profile used in the 8v Wolf Direct Racing engines?

Just bought one of there engines and it looks to be a reground cam. Just curious really.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by - brooky on 13 Oct 2017 15:48:29

julian
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2017 :  18:59:42  Show Profile  Visit julian's Homepage  Click to see julian's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pretty much every single engine was unique to suit the owner. Not all had custom profiles on the cam - do you know the history on the engine?

2009 Abarth 500
Go to Top of Page

brooky
Net Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  11:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine was built but not run as the project never made it.
The receipt quotes a fast road/rally camshaft.
I've taken it with a pinch of salt though as some of the stuff on the receipt is missing such as the vernier pulley and modified sump.
Also the head gasket was on the wrong way round but at least it hasn't been run.

I'm going to clock up the cam and take a set of measurements and compare it to a few other cams i have.
Go to Top of Page

julian
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  12:27:37  Show Profile  Visit julian's Homepage  Click to see julian's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Interesting stuff - what does the brass plate on the camcover look like?

If you need the vernier cam and modified sump, I have one of each still (I think).

2009 Abarth 500
Go to Top of Page

brooky
Net Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2017 :  13:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no plate on the cam cover.

I have bought a vernier cam pulley, not sure on the brand but it's what Avanti used to supply I believe. Is yours a Piper pulley? If so I may be interested.
Also what's been done to the sump? Is it the breather mod or baffled aswell? Any other intresting bits available?
If you want to talk prices via pm then fire away :)

Go to Top of Page

brooky
Net Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2017 :  21:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well just for completeness of the thread, done a bit of digging and poking about the engine.

The coilpack end of the camshaft has BP285 stamped into it (I would upload a picture if I knew how) So it's a 866 cam reground by Piper. Still has the coating on the lobes as the engine hasn't run, also some orange paint between two of the lobes.
I have contacted Piper but they don't have any history on them....but they can measure it up, I didn't ask for a price as the contact had very poor manners over the emails.
I guess you were right Julian, secretive about his profiles.

I have since painstakingly measured it up myself, at 1degree intervals using a stripped head, dial test indicator and an excel spreadsheet.
Trouble is I don't have a standard 866 cam to measure and compare it against, but I have measured my C&B300 cam....now that is a monster of a cam.

I'll have to wade through the measurements and work out the duration and timing data, also hopefully borrow a 866 to compare.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sporting Fiats Club © 2003-2011 Sporting Fiats Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000